Frequently Asked Questions
- Category: Frequently Asked Questions
Europa Cup & World Cup Camps @ GMVS
MANDATORY ITEMS - - For all EC & WC campers
- 2 Water bottles
- Athletic Shoes for the camps at GMVS
- Running or cross-training shoes with NON-MARKING SOLES
- These shoes will be dedicated strictly for indoor use in the RPC gym (Racing Performance Center)
- This is a mandatory rule set by GMVS intended for all GMVS students, ELITEAMers & visiting athletes.
- These shoes will be left in the RPC at all times, please make sure your child's name is marked on their shoes.
- These indoor shoes could be, but do not have to be, running shoes. Probably more appropriate is a cross-training shoe that works for jumping, cutting and running. Many of you have indoor soccer shoes already. Those would work for this purpose.
SUGGESTED ITEMS - - For all campers:
- Indoor gym shoes (see note above)
- Running shoes x 2
- Sunscreen / Bug Spray
- Towels x2
- Sheets (reg. twin), blanket & pillow or Sleeping Bag (most opt for sheets/blankets) Stuffed animals welcome!
- Athletic gear- running pants/ sweats, workout shorts & t-shirts
- Fleece or Sweatshirt
- Socks (lots... 2-3/day)
- Laundry bag for storing dirty clothes (laundry services not available- although we can help if there is a "clothing emergency" during the week)
- Plastic bags for packing wet clothing/ towels at end of camp
- Rain coat
- Light wind jacket
- Baseball hat or sun hat
- Alarm clock
- Watch- we emphasize being on time
OPTIONAL - - For all campers:
- "Inside" shoes for the dorm-
- GMVS- kids will be parking their running shoes in the "shoe garages" on the front porch of the dorm, so they may want to bring along some comfortable shoes to wear inside the dorm. Ex. Flip-flops, slip-ons, slippers, etc.
- BMA- shoes will be parked in the entryway of each dorm, so bring some "inside only" shoes if you like.
- Fan (recommended if it looks like hot weather for the week)
- Books/magazines/etc (may help if your child has trouble falling asleep)
- Eliteam provides all meals and snacks, but parents may send campers with additional healthy snacks. Please do not send candy or junk food. It will be confiscated.
- We'll play some soccer, but it's casual, so shin guards and cleats are not necessary. However, your child is welcome to bring those items along if you prefer.
- We highly recommend that you LABEL all of your child's gear and clothing!!!
WORLD CUP CAMPS:
In addition to the above, World Cup campers should pack-
- Hiking boots (worn in) or Trail Runners preferred for our hiking day, but running shoes are ok too
- Costume... 2017 theme is "Disco/70's"
- Reminder - NO mountain bikes needed for the World Cup camps
- We will be doing a long "Adventure Hike". All campers must have their own knapsack for hiking that is big enough to carry two water bottles, a bag lunch and an extra layer of clothing (ex. sweatshirt, wind jacket or long sleeve shirt.) Be sure this is a "proper" backpack for hiking, meaning no cinch sacks with string straps!
- Every athlete should bring 2 water bottles
- ELITEAM water bottles will be given out at the END of camp, so be sure to bring 2 with you!!!
- FYI- Using a camelbak liner inside the knapsack would also work for the hike.
Girls Power Camps @ BMA
Use the above list as a guide. A final packing list will be sent approximately one month prior to camp.
- FYI- Non-marking shoes are not required (as is the case at GMVS).
- Your daughter will need a knapsack and headlamp.
- There is no costume night.
- NO mountain bikes are needed
- Hair ties are mandatory for long hair!!!
- No hair dryers and No make-up!
- Bring 2 magazines- could be anything... athletic, outdoor, fashion, travel, etc.
ALL CAMPS- EC, WC & GPC
ITEMS NOT PERMITTED:
- NO personal computers/electronics (ex. no iPods, iPod-Touchs, shuffles, DVD players, etc) A digital alarm clock is fine, although we prefer that it does not have a radio.
- Cell phones are NOT permitted. Please be respectful of this rule. If you need to leave a cell phone with your child, please give it to your child's dorm parent to hold for the duration of camp. Make sure your child's name is clearly marked on the phone.
- "Spending money" is not needed.
MEDICATION & INHALERS:
Don't forget personal medications, inhalers and epi-pens, etc. (Medication should be in its original packaging.) Medications to be administered by the dorm parent should be left with the dorm parent (or in their room), along with any special notes for administering.
If your child has an allergy that requires an epi-pen, please bring 2-3 epi-pens to camp, along with a fanny pack designated for one of them. (A fanny pack is strongly preferred over a backpack.) It is important to bring at least two epi-pens, so we have a back-up/second dose available in the event of an emergency. It depends on the allergy, but we normally keep one in the kitchen and/or one in the dorm parent's room, and one in the fanny pack that "travels" with us (around GMVS and off-campus). Please bring one epi-pen up to the Dining Hall when you check-in, so it may be left in the kitchen immediately upon arrival. Make sure the fanny pack and epi-pens are clearly labeled with your child's name. Please also double check that your child has re-packed them all when heading home after camp.
CELL PHONES / ELITEAM'S COMMUNICATION POLICY:
Cell phones are not permitted at camp. ELITEAM does not allow campers to make or receive phone calls and/or texts while at camp, as we have found cell phones to be a disctraction to campers and source to trigger homesickness. We also like to use this time as an opportunity for the athletes to "unplug" and instead become immersed in the ELITEAM world of working hard, pushing limits, having fun and reaching their goals. Should you have an urgent message for your child during the week, or would simply like to check in with us for reassurance, please don't hesitate to call. If you are uncomfortable with this rule, please discuss your concerns with us in advance so we can work something out. There is no need to sneak in a cell phone. Please be respectful of this rule, as we take it very seriously. Any child caught with a cell phone at camp will be asked to leave.